A Fraction shows part of a whole. It is written with two numerals arranged one over the other and separated by a line. The numeral above the line is termed as the numerator and below the line is termed as the denominator. Refer to Fig. 1 that shows the example of Fractions of an item.
Types of Fractions- Fractions Types
- Proper Fractions: when the numerator is less than the denominator, for example, 1/3, 2/9, 3/22, etc.
- Improper Fractions: when the numerator is greater than the denominator, for example, 5/3, 9/2, 7/4, etc.
- Mixed Fractions: When the fraction is a combination of the whole number and proper fractions, for example, 1-2/3, 3-5/7, 6-7/11, etc.
- Equivalent Fractions: Equivalent fractions are basically the same part of a whole. For example, 1/2=2/4=4/8=3/6. When you multiply or divide the numerator and denominator of any fraction by the same number equivalent fraction is obtained.
- Like Fractions: Different fractions having the same denominator are called the like fractions, for example, 1/7, 2/7, 3/7, 4/7, etc are like fractions.
- Unlike Fractions: Fractions having different denominators are called the unlike fractions, for example, 1/3, 2/5, 3/7, etc are unlike fractions.
Few rules to solve Fractions worksheets grade 4
Remember the following rules while solving any fractions worksheet:
- While comparing the like fractions, the greater number is the number which has the greater numerator.
- Sum (addition) of like fractions= Addition of the numerators/Common Denominator
- Subtraction of like fractions=Difference of the numerators/Common Denominator.
- Two fractions can be said as equivalent if the numerator of the first fraction multiplied by the denominator of the second fraction equals the denominator of the first fraction multiplied by the numerator of the second fraction.
- An equivalent fraction can be reduced to its lowest term by dividing the numerator and denominator with the common factors of the numerator and denominator till no more common factors are left.
- To convert a mixed fraction into an improper fraction, multiply the denominator with the whole number and then add the numerator with it and put the result as the numerator. The denominator remains the same.
- To convert an improper fraction into a mixed fraction, divide the numerator with denominator. Now put the quotient as the whole number, remainder as the numerator of the mixed fractions. The denominator remains the same.
Let us learn more about fractions while solving the below-mentioned fractions worksheets.
1. Compare the following fractions and fill in the blanks with >, < or = sign as applicable
- 3/5 ______________________ 2/5
- 3/6 ______________________5/10
- 15/21 ____________________ 5/7
- 1/2 ______________________ 4/12
- 6/19 _____________________6/23
2. Arrange the following fractions in Ascending Order
a. 1/2, 5/6, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5 _____________
b. 3/4, 7/8, 1/8, 1, 1/4 _______________
c. 4/9, 4/7, 4/8, 3/9, 2/7 _________________
d. 1/2, 1/5, 1/3, 1/6, 1/4 _________________
e. 4/5, 4/7, 4/6, 4/9, 4/8 __________________
3. Circle the greatest fraction
a. 1/5, 1/9, 1/7, 1/10, 1/8
b. 2/3, 2/5, 2/9, 2/7, 2/11
c. 2/4, 5/8, 2/3, 3/4
d. 1/2, 1-1/2, 1/3, 5/3,2
e. 1/3, 2/3, 3/3, 4/3, 2
4. Add the following fractions
a. 1/2 + 3/4
b. 1/10+ 2/5
5. Subtract the following as given in the fractions worksheet
a. 4/5 – 2/5
c. 5/6- 1/12
6. Word Problems related to Fractions Worksheets
- On his Birthday Aharsi purchased two same sized cakes. He cut the first cake into 5 pieces and gave one piece to his brother Advik. Then He cut the second cake into 7 pieces and gave two pieces to his friend Swarnali. Who got the bigger share?
- Ismat did 1/5 of the painting in the Afternoon of Sunday. She finished 7/10 of the painting on the evening of Sunday. Remaining she finished in the morning the next day. What fraction did she finish on Sunday? How many fractions did she finish on Monday?
- How many one-sixth make a whole?
- The simplest form of 91/143 is ___________
- On the Environmental day drawing competition, Swarnali painted 1/3rd of the drawing with Red color, 1/5 of the drawing with yellow color and Remaining with Orange Color. So what parts did she painted with orange color?
7. Write true or false for the following fractions worksheet statements
a. Unlike fractions and mixed fractions can be equal.
b. An equivalent fraction can be converted into its lowest form and vice versa.
c. The whole number 3 can be written as 6/2 in fractions form.
d. 1/5, 4/20, 2/10, 3/15, 7/35 are equivalent fractions.
e. proper fractions can be converted into mixed fractions.
f. 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5 are like fractions
g. If A=1/4 and B=3/4 then A>B
h. If C=5/4 and D=1-1/4 (Mixed fraction), then C<D
i. Two fractions are called equivalent when they have a common denominator.
j. if 1/3=X/12, then X=3
3 thoughts on “Fractions Worksheets Grade 4 [With PDF]”
I wish we can have access to more grades
Thank you for this offer. This will help our kids to go a very long way.