A verb is a very important category in parts of speech that is defined as a word or a word combination indicating an action, state, or condition of the subject. Verbs are known as the hearts of English sentences and are the most important word in a sentence. A verb is that part of a sentence that tells us what the subject performs. Without proper verbs, sentences are incomplete. For example, Swarnali speaks French fluently. Here the verb speaks inform the action of the subject Swarnali. Without the verb, the sentence does not convey the proper meaning.
A verb refers to the past, present, or future time in the sentence. There are various types of verbs in English literature. The verb originates from the Latin word “verbum”.
Features of a Verb
- A sentence can not be created without a Verb. It forms the root of the predicate.
- Verbs are associated with five primary characteristics: Person, Number, Mood, Voice, and Tense.
Types of Verbs
Primarily, Verbs are classified in two categories:
- Main Verbs or Principal Verbs and
- Helping Verbs or Auxiliary Verbs
Refer the following image (Fig. 1) that explains the complete classification of Verbs.
Main verbs or Principal verbs are used independently. They show the main action or state of being. The main verb has the proper independent meaning in the word itself. Examples; play, read, watch, run, cook, see, eat, swim, etc.
Helping or Auxiliary Verbs helps the main verb to express proper voice, tense, or mood in a sentence. Examples; do, is, am, are, can, must, will, shall, etc. Refer to Fig. 2 for understanding the main verb and helping verb examples in sentences.
Let’s learn more about the verbs while solving the following verb worksheets.
Q1. Circle any Verbs that do not agree with their subjects. Write the correct Verb in the brackets given.
Dad tell us riddles when we go on car trips (___________). The riddles makes the ride more fun (____________). They sounds easy at first (_________). There is always a trick, though. He ask how many letters are in the alphabet (__________) We tell him twenty-six. Then Dad laugh at us (__________) He say, “Count again (__________) There are only eight letters in the word alphabet.” When I rushes my guess, he tells me, (_______) “Listen again.” Now we makes better guesses. (__________) Sometimes we even gets them right! (______ ).
Q2. Identify the subject (underline it) and the verb (encircle it) in the given sentences.
- Ismat’s dog barked all evening.
- Firan’s gym group meets at five o’clock in the morning.
- The musician performed all evening.
- Sanjay speaks at almost every weekly meeting in the office.
- Mrs. Biswas bought a new dining table for her dining room.
- Most of the cough medicines contain alcohol.
- Deeptarghya wants to buy a new hat online.
- Dolan often buys vegetables from the Sultan’s Supermarket.
- All of the office cars are equipped with safety belts.
- Krishna orders all his clothes from the offer list.
- Lulu supermarket sells more than 50,000 products in a year.
Q3. Fill the blanks using a verb to form a meaningful sentence.
- Who can _______this Piano?
- Swarna can _______ faster than Ismat.
- Excuse me. Can I _______ you a question?
- Please go to the supermarket and ______ some cheese.
- Can you ______me please; It’s difficult for me.
- Who can ________ this poem louder than John?
- Every morning we ________ our Teeth.
- On our way to school, We _________ to pick Tarun in our car.
- I __________ my younger brother in his homework.
- Sorry, Can you __________ your name, please?
Q4. Complete the letter by filling the blanks with appropriate verbs from the given keys.
I had a fantastic holiday in Muscat. It was hot and the sea was blue and lovely.
I ………1……… by plane from Mumbai to Muscat. I really ……2………….. the flight. It was two hours long but I …………3………..at all because I ………4…………. so excited. During the flight I …………5……….. to music, …………6……….. a movie and ………7………. to the girl in the seat next to me.
I ………8……………my mother in feeding my brother. Uncle Uttam____9___ us on a trip to Salalah. We ……..10…….. in a three-star hotel.
See you soon!
Answer Keys: (didn’t sleep, stayed, traveled, enjoyed, was, listened, watched, talked, helped, invited )