What is Present Progressive Tense
The present progressive tense is a verb tense that indicates an ongoing action that is happening or continuing at the present instant. The present progressive tense is also known as present continuous tense. The present progressive tense is also used to indicate future plans or actions that are going to take place in the near future. Present continuous tense adds energy to the verb and conveys that the action is happening at that moment. For example, In the sentence “Mohor is running”, it is clear what the subject i.e, Mohor is doing (Running) at this moment.
Rules for using Present Progressive Tense
Present Progressive tense forms a major part of the present tense and is widely used in the English language. Present progressive tense is used in the following situations:
- To describe the actions happening now. For example; Aharsi is reading a storybook.
- To express predetermined plans or near future appointments. For example; Uttam is going to India tonight.
- To narrate the actions of temporary nature. For example, I am working with Shyam this month.
- To report the actions that are currently happening, but not at the moment of speaking. For example, situations that are changing every day.
- To describe the longer actions occurring around the moment of speaking. For example, Ismat is preparing for the IIT entrance.
- To describe trends. For example, Online education is becoming new schools for students.
- To inform repetitive actions, For example, Uttam is always coming late from office.
Present Progressive tense can easily be recognized by a few of the keywords or signal words in a sentence. These are: “At the moment”, “Now”, “Listen”, “Look”, “Just now”, “Right Now”.
There are few words for which present progressive tense or present continuous tense is not used. Examples of a few such words are: Belong – Cost – Know- Hate – Remember-Have (possession) – Hear – Think – Like – Love – Feel-Need – Own – Remember – Taste-Seem – Smell – Understand – Want-Forget-Understand-Notice-Seem-Recognise-Own-Want-See-Appear
Present Progressive Tense Examples
The formula for making present progressive or present continuous tense in a sentence is:
Subject+ to be verb (am/is/are)+verb with -ing+ object
Example: Rani (Subject) is (to be verb) dancing (main verb dance+ing) with her group.
Present Progressive tense can be used in affirmative or negative meaning or to make a question.
Examples of Present Progressive Tense in Affirmative Sentences:
- Rahul is singing a song.
- Swarnali is watching TV.
- Formula: Subject+be verb (am/is/are)+(main verb+ing)+object
Examples of Present Continuous Tense in Negative Sentences:
- Advik is not sleeping.
- Sarah is not working.
- Formula: Subject+be verb (am/is/are)+not+ (main verb+ing)+object
Examples of Present Progressive Tense to make questions:
- Is he playing carrom?
- Are they coming today?
- Formula: Be verb (am/is/are)+subject+(main verb+ing)+object+ (?) question mark
Simple Present Tense vs Present Progressive Tense.
The main differences between Simple present tense and present progressive tense are listed below in a tabular format:
|Present Simple Tense||Present Continuous Tense|
|Present simple tense use the verb in its base form (Only if the subject is third person singular number, s or es is added with the verb)||Verbs are suffixed with “ing” in the present continuous tense.|
|Used for general statements; Example: Mangoes taste good.||Used for current ongoing processes or actions; Example: I am eating a mango.|
|Present Simple Tense is used to explain which are universal truth means always true; Example: The Earth rotates around the Sun.||Present Continuous Tense indicates things happening at the moment of explaining.|
|Simple Present Tense is used to explain permanent situations; Example: Uttam lives in Muscat||Whereas Present Progressive Tense explains a temporary situation: Example: Sumita is living in Muscat for a few months.|
|Simple Present Tense indicates regular habits or routines; For example: Aharsi plays Keyboard every morning||For new or temporary habit, present continuous tense can be used; Example: These days, Aharsi is playing keyboard in the morning.|
|Indefinite future plans; Example, I’ll inform once I reach there.||Definite Future plans; Example: I am going to the theatre tonight.|
|Signal words for Present simple Tense are: Always, Often, Usually, Occasionally, never, normally, generally, etc.||Signal words for Present Continuous Tense are Today, Now, At the moment, this week, Look, etc.|
Present Progressive Tense Exercises or Worksheets
Let’s learn more about the present progressive tense while solving the following worksheets
Q1. Change the following sentences from the Simple Present Tense to the Present Continuous Tense.
- The old woman walks slowly along the road.
- The children swim in the pool.
- These children study in class v.
- The gardener cuts down all the big trees.
- Deep hits the ball with his bat.
- An Aeroplane flies in the air.
- It rained heavily the day before yesterday.
- The notebook lies in the corner.
- They begin their class at 11 o’clock.
- Raj works in the shop.
Q2. Underline the Present Continuous Tense in the sentences given below.
- The birds are building their nest on the tree.
- Smita is going to market.
- The children are playing in the playground.
- Nitu’s dog is biting my leg.
- The teacher is writing a poem on the blackboard now.
- Today I am playing badminton.
- We are eating orange and apple in the morning.
- She is buying a gold pendant.
- We are living in this house.
- My parents are going to the zoo.
- She is writing a story.
Q3. Complete the following sentences with using the Present Continuous.
- Rechal _________(have)a shower now. She can’t come to the phone.
- Gita __________(watch) a serial.
- I can’t go to play now. I ________(do) my homework.
- They __________(run) around the park.
- We can’t go outside now. It’s ________(rain)!
- Look, Subir ________(play) tennis over there. Let’s talk to him.
- Ravlen________(cry), give her toys back.
- Soma __________(fry) some eggs.
- I _____(buy) some vegetable.
- She __________(blend) the colors for her picture.
- Iffate __________(chop) fruits for salad.
Q4. Choose the correct words in the brackets to form correct present progressive tense.
- I (am, is, are) eating cookies.
- My friends (am, is, are) calling me.
- The farmer (am, is, are) working in the field.
- We (am is, are) learning music.
- My little brother (am, is, are) standing in front of the window.
- The students (am, is, are) making noise.
- She (am, is, are) thinking about a story.
- I (am, is, are) listening to my favorite song.
- The player (am, is, are) running with the ball
- Stuti (am, is, are) singing on the chorus.
- Raghav (am, is, are) drinking Coldrinks.
Q5. Choose which one is present continuous from the sentences given below.
- Anna is looking at her pet fish.
- He drinks juice every morning.
- We were listening to FM all evening.
- My sister and I will be traveling to India in July.
- Tomorrow the weather will be sunny and dry.
- Ismat is cooking shahi-tukda for snacks.
- The girls are painting mandala art.
- They are celebrating Easter.
- Swarna likes Oreo cake.
- They are going to the temple.
Q6. Fill in the blanks with the correct verb form to make the present continuous tense.
|Verbs to Choose from: Go, play, write, drive, run, fly, sing, share, watch, eat|
- My friends _____________hokey.
- Sreela _________a letter to her grandfather.
- Jhuma __________a butterfly kite.
- Isaani’s father __________a car.
- The athlete __________really fast.
- They _________to the beach.
- Those girls ________a Bollywood song.
- No one __________a toy with her.
- My brother ___________IPL in TV.
- The dog _______its food.
Q7. Re-write the sentences after fixing the mistakes for creating appropriate present progressive tense.
- Tanusree reading a storybook right now.
- They are eat dinner at their favorite restaurant.
- I watching a Susant’s movie right now, so please be quiet.
- My little brother is cry so loudly! I can’t do my homework.
- Jacklin walking to the park right now with her mother.
- They are watch TV at the moment.
- My parents sitting on the sofa.
- Ruma is play with her cat right now.
- Ganesh dance in front of his fans.
- Ankit can’t talk on the phone because he is sleep.
Q8. Fill in the blanks using appropriate Present continuous tense.
It is a sunny day. The birds are _________. The skies are blue. The trees look very beautiful. Everyone is __________fresh. The bees are _______ while the cat is _________. Today is a nice day.